Publish Date: 01 Feb - 05 Apr 2021
In these articles and interviews, AER's Dr Judah Cohen provides details on the significant ongoing meteorological events associated with the Polar Vortex affecting our winter weather.
Article and Interview Sources:
- (NY Times) Wild Weather in a Warming World
- (Philadelphia Inquirer) Winter Storm Warning for Philly
- (NY Times) The warming Arctic plays a role in storms like the one hitting the Northeast
- (NY Times) What Is a Nor'easter?
- (USA Today) An arctic blast is coming. And we can blame the infamous polar vortex
- (NY Times) Winter Storm Brings Icy Temperatures and Cuts Power Across U.S.
- (Bloomberg Green/Apple News) How the Warming Arctic Helped Drive a Deep Freeze Into Texas
- (Washington Post) The lethal atmospheric setup behind a deadly Arctic outbreak
- (KIRO 7 Seattle) Topsy-turvy weather comes from polar vortex
- (The Guardian) Heating Arctic may be to blame for snowstorms in Texas, scientists argue
- (E&E News) Texas grid collapse points to looming climate tests
- (NY Times) Climate change may be why frigid weather has slid so far south, experts say
- (USA Today) Record cold, intense storms and tornadoes amid global warming: Could there be a connection?
- ( San Francisco Chronicle) What California needs to do to avoid a Texas-style electricity crisis
- (National Geographic) Same force behind Texas deep freeze could drive prolonged heat waves
- (AP) Weather experts: Lack of planning caused cold catastrophe
- (Washington Post) Ice, Fire, Floods: Extreme Weather and Climate Change
- (Philadelphia Inquirer) What went wrong for Philly's winter forecasts? 'The polar vortex stole the show.'
- (Michigan Live) Polar Vortex forecast shows winter is 'heading for the exits'
- (New Statesman) How the polar vortex wreaked havoc on the automotive industry
- (National Geographic) Big winter snows in the North could be fueled by Arctic sea ice loss
- (Washington Post) It was another lackluster winter for snow in D.C., but several people saw it coming
- Channel 5 News (UK) Arctic snow and winds have swept across the southern United States, with Texas particularly badly affected
- CBC (Canada) What we can learn from the Texas blackout
- Austrian Radio FM4 The Polar Vortex: why global warming causes extreme cold weather
- I24 News (Israel) Judah Cohen answers questions on the Texas Extreme Weather Event and related Polar Vortex pattern
- Muslim Network TV (US) Topic: Lessons learned from the Texas Disaster
What lies ahead? Do we have more significant weather on tap for the Northern Hemisphere? In a weekly detailed and technical blog post available on AER.com Dr Cohen writes at length about seasonal weather analysis and forecasting with a focus on Arctic Oscillation and the Polar Vortex.
For additional information contact: Karl Pfeiffer, AER sCast principal engineer, firstname.lastname@example.org