A leading supplier of algorithms, test beds and toolkits
Satellite-borne, airborne and ground-based sensors provide a unique, multispectral perspective for monitoring environmental processes over the Earth. Over the past three decades, remote sensing technologies have become increasingly sophisticated and accurate, greatly expanding our ability to study and understand natural processes on Earth and other planets. Throughout that time, scientists and engineers from Atmospheric and Environmental Research (AER) have contributed significant innovations, assisting the companies that design, build, launch and operate those sensing instruments.
Remote sensing leader preferred by aerospace contractors
Regardless of the spectral region, sensor system design requires a detailed knowledge and understanding of:
- Earth’s atmospheric and oceanographic processes
- How this geophysical information translates into what can be measured
- How to interpret the data for weather and climate information
AER innovations and expertise address all aspects of the sensor life cycle
Our end-to-end analysis capabilities include sensor design trade-off studies using leading-edge sensor simulation and radiative transfer tools to evaluate retrieval performance and the impact of remotely sensed data upon assimilation into application modes. Services include:
- Design, development and optimization of sensor test beds
- Ground test and operational performance enhancement and radiometric calibration
- Validation and analysis of the measured radiometric and geophysical parameters
- Sensor measurement calibration and testing
Unique simulation modeling across the spectrum
AER scientists are experts in across-the-spectrum sensing and simulation modeling.
- Our models can be coupled to geophysical models and databases to provide an algorithm test bed specifically tailored to your program needs. This allows for robust sensor simulation, testing and validation against both simulated data and existing measurements and sensor systems.
- We provide local meteorological forecasts for sensor tasking. Knowing the weather forecast is one thing; knowing the impact to mission-critical sensor systems is another.
- Our tools to assess weather impacts on sensor technology (WIST) use advanced physical modeling of the environment to predict the consequences of weather on operations that utilize both imaging and non-line-of-sight acoustic sensor systems. We make extensive use of multispectral satellite imagery and GIS/image processing for state-of-the-art description of near-surface conditions.
- Our studies and tool kits assess the impact of space weather events on spacecraft, instrumentation and communications. For example, the Space Environment and Effects Tool for AGI's Systems Tool Kit (STK/SEET) provides comprehensive modeling of the near-Earth space environment and its expected impacts on space vehicles.
Data retrieval and processing at the speed of technology
Clients value AER’s scientific algorithms, which accurately translate sensor data into weather and environmental products. Our algorithm experts combine deep scientific knowledge with robust software engineering. Whether we’re developing algorithms or validating them, clients in government and industry rely on AER to confirm that the algorithms accurately reflect the underlying science.
For more information on AER’s solutions for aerospace, please contact us.